Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Stomach Flu + Pregnancy = NO BUENO

So one time I got the stomach flu. It came on suddenly. It was nasty. But I did survive. And here are my thoughts and tips on how to survive if you, too, are pregnant and get the stomach flu.

1. Its okay to cry because you're freaked out that you've caught some terrible food poisoning that is going to affect your baby.  Really, I think in any situation that occurs during pregnancy it is "okay to cry." Because you will anyway. Might as well be okay!

2. As much as you don't want to throw up because it reminds you of the horrible ravages of First Trimester, just go with it. Better out than in, as Shrek says! And really, your body is trying to help you. 

3.  If you're running a fever, take a couple Tylenol. You won't hurt your baby! And you will feel SOOOO much better.

4. Stick with clear liquids for 24 hours. Even if you think you're getting better so toast or a banana are a good idea, DON'T DO IT! Just go with apple juice, broth, Gatorade, etc.

5. Its okay to call the Urgent/After Hours line to your doctor and ask questions just to make yourself feel better. (This relates very much to #1, but seriously--its OKAY!)

6. Rest. Sleep. Take naps at all hours of the day. Watch movies. And don't plan on doing anything else for 48 hours. Yes, 48 HOURS. 2 DAYS. Doesn't matter if its a 24-hour bug, that little kiddo inside of you will require at least 48 hours to get over this thing.

7. On day two, when you are finally keeping things down, eat chicken noodle soup and maybe some toast or crackers. Don't eat enchiladas even if they smell good. Be nice to that poor stomach of yours and stick with the calm and bland. 

8. Rely on those amazing people around you! Husbands and Moms are THE BEST. They will bring you bread for toast. They will run to the store for Gatorade and soup. They will check on you all the time and encourage you to lay in bed all day. This is probably the most important part--you need help!

9. Do Not Forget: YOU WILL SURVIVE! Sometimes you just need that reminder. Because Day 3 is--honestly--pretty much back to normal. You can do it!

And now we just hope not to experience any of that again before Baby arrives!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I was getting quite worried. I have a feeling that someday when I have children I will be crying ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were sick! When I was pregnant with Eleanor I got some stomach bug and threw up every hour all night--it was terrible. In fact, I think that night was probably worse then giving birth (thank heavens for epidurals). Since you survived, now you know you can make it through anything!

    ReplyDelete