Baby is currently sleeping. He's been at it for over two hours now and his mom couldn't be more thrilled. You see, we've been in "sleep training" mode for the past week or so and we're actually seeing some fantastic results. This is natural since our son is obviously brilliant and learns fast, but its also a huge relief since our son is also hypersensitive (i.e. wildly unpredictable).
We started the sleep training bit as major amateurs. Basically we knew NOTHING except that people suggested we be consistent. So...we gave that a whirl. And it kind of worked but I felt like I seriously had NO IDEA what I was doing. Mrs. O'C Fun Fact: I hate not knowing what I'm doing. I am a person who must have a lot of information going into anything (vacations, baking, sex, etc.) I like to read books and talk to numerous people before something new. And I am ever so grateful for the recommendation from Ari to read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. It is...genius. The man makes so much sense. And we started applying his ideas right away and right away...our lives improved. Baby takes naps now. REAL naps. And he goes to bed each night with a minimum of fussing--sometimes none at all! We're still in the early stages and I am still happily charting his sleep patterns to try and get a better grasp on the boy, but I have a lot of confidence this is gonna work!
The green is "sleeping," the yellow is "awake," the purple is "crying in the crib" and the pink notes "no-fuss naptimes/bedtimes." Red dots are feedings. See? Its not complicated!
Yesterday I finished reading a book. Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. Not only was it a great book, its a double bonus because I haven't finished a book since before Baby C arrived! I do a lot of reading now while I pump and I am so pleased about that aspect of this pumping business. Next up is Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard. Woohoo!
I can't get enough of this:
Sabra hummus with carrots and Stacy's pita chips. Wicked good stuff, I say!
And since I'm making recommendations left and right today, can I also offer this recipe? My sister sent it to me yesterday morning and it looked so good I made it yesterday for dinner. It was AWESOME. Give it a whirl--and I'd suggest adding some onion, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, and green pepper to the mix and serving it with yummy brown rice. I did and it was delish. (No snow peas around here. Sorry.)
Garlic Chicken Stirfry
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
Directions:
Combine garlic, soy sauce, water, honey, 1 tablespoon oil, cornstarch and black/red pepper. Stir chicken into marinade and mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
In large skillet, heat remaining oil. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to skillet. Stir-fry about 5 minutes. Add reserved marinade; continue to cook and stir about 30 seconds until thickened.
Remove to platter. Garnish with green onion. Serve with snow peas, if desired.
Combine garlic, soy sauce, water, honey, 1 tablespoon oil, cornstarch and black/red pepper. Stir chicken into marinade and mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
In large skillet, heat remaining oil. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to skillet. Stir-fry about 5 minutes. Add reserved marinade; continue to cook and stir about 30 seconds until thickened.
Remove to platter. Garnish with green onion. Serve with snow peas, if desired.
Oh and we're making cookies tonight, in case you were wondering. Chocolate with mini M&Ms. I'm excited.

I liked In the Garden of Beasts--so fascinating and so frightening. Funny, I just added Destiny of the Republic to my list--my parents said it is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteGlad the sleep training is going well--you have quite the chart! Babies sleeping are the best...and I do love that book (so helpful!).