Saturday, November 19, 2011

CHALLENGE: Chicken Noodle Soup

Early in our relationship, I asked Mr. C what his very favorite meal was that his mother made.  He thought about it for a bit and settled on her homemade chicken noodle soup (which is actually Grandma C.'s recipe--for the sake of full disclosure).  I promptly made a silent vow to NEVER attempt to make homemade chicken noodle soup for him.  My reasoning was that the girlfriend can never fully measure up to Mom in this realm, right?

I absolutely stuck to my guns on this until after the wedding when we joined Mr. C.'s family for dinner one Sunday and Momma C served the much-talked-about soup.  Was it good? No. It was better than good! It was fan-freakin'-tastic, my dear readers!  Momma C was quick to give me basic directions that had me fairly convinced I could make a solid attempt at recreating this most choice of dishes. (I'm no longer just The Girlfriend after all, and The Wife really needs to have the chutzpah to give such challenges a go. And while we're on the subject, isn't CHUTZPAH a terrific word?!)   

This week I am proud to declare the attempt was made, and the soup was conquered.  And the household of Mr. C and Mrs. O'C rejoiced!!--in between their happy noodle slurping. 

One amazingly delicious bowl of soup. Yum!!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! It looks delicious. :) It was definitely a momentous occasion in my marriage when Darrin said I was a way better cook than his mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Chutzpah' is a FANTASTIC word.

    Now I'm wishing there were some way you could email chicken soup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks delicious. And I loved that you dropped a little Yiddish into this post.

    ReplyDelete