We had a great weekend around these parts. At the beginning of May we put together a Summer Bucket List and now that the season is whizzing by, we are frantically trying to catch up and cross a few things off. Saturday we decided to venture to the Downtown Farmer's Market and see what we could see. I decreed that we had to purchase something to make it an actual "check this off" activity.
After scoring a stellar (and free!) parking space, we headed to the park. We meandered on our first circuit of the park--stopping for a sample of gelato from an unexpected friend--and got a feel for the place and what we might be interested in. I had grand hopes of getting some produce to add to the Sunday dinner salad, but I have no experience working with the items in season right now. I know one day I'll figure out kale (reportedly a great "super food," but I have ZERO idea at this point), but I didn't want to go that route.
As we finished our first circuit we fortuitously happened on a bakery tent--featuring eats from a local FRENCH bakery. Mr. C was in heaven. He procured a pastry that was one of his all-time favorites in Paris, and took the opportunity to chat up the proprietor for a bit and practice his French. The pastry (involving raisins and gooey deliciousness and a French name I can't say OR spell) was totally worth the money and a delicious start to our day. I'm all about eating local--especially bakeries.
We then headed on to Circuit #2, stopping to reward a busker who was playing one of my all time favorites--Ashokan Farewell--and considering the merits of locally made hummus. Instead we opted for locally made cookies from one of our favorite shops, Ruby Snap. Their special cookie, Darby, was ridiculously good. We should have had two...
Though cookies and pastries are awesome, I felt like our Farmer's Market adventure needed something a little more. We found it in some local and delicious pesto, just a few tents away from the cookies. So yum! We used it last night in some pesto quinoa, and we have plans for some pizza in a few days. Delish.
We also took the opportunity of being downtown to walk a few blocks northwest and take in the Chalk Art Festival at the Gateway. It was so fun! I'd never been before and I think we might try to make it an annual thing. And since we were already right there, we stopped at Klondike Cookies. Because when one is at the Gateway, one should always stop at Klondike Cookies. Even if they've already had a cookie and a French pastry. This is a good rule, and one I try to follow--especially on Saturdays. Chocolate Cinnamon with White Chocolate chips? Of course we had to stop!
I'd be remiss to not mention that this weekend was also Father's Day--Mr. C's first Father's Day! We did the best we could to shower him with love because he totally deserves it. We had lasagna and humongo rolls for dinner--followed by an Oreo Pudding Pie. And even Baby C got into the act and gave Dad a book for them to share together. It was a lovely day and one fantastic weekend.
And I promise Mr. C that on the next summer adventure, he can be in charge of the camera and actually get me in a photo or two.

No comments:
Post a Comment