Monday, April 2, 2012

Geography

One of my favorite exchanges in the CLASSIC film, Sleepless in Seattle, is the conversation between father and son about US geography:

Son: "[Reading a letter] 'I live in Tulsa.' Where's that?"
Dad:"In Oklahoma. Where is that?"
Son: "Somewhere in the middle."
Dad: "I won't think about what they don't teach you in school." 

Hee hee!!

Funny, yes. But I was recently reminded of it all too clearly when I had the following REAL conversation via text:

J: I'm having a brain fart, what country is Taiwan in?

Me: Taiwan is its own country.

J: What?? Is that where Hong Kong is?

Me: No. Hong Kong is part of China.

J: Where the heck is Taiwan?!

Me: Its an island off the coast of southern China.

J: Okay so its in China. That's all I needed.

Me: Its in ASIA. Its not in China.

(No Response from J.)

*sigh*

4 comments:

  1. In J's defense, China doesn't agree with you:) Taiwan is also the most populous country in the world that is NOT in the UN! I<3 Geography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well technically the Chinese consider Taiwan part of China and political constraints make it difficult for international organization and countries to recognize them as a sovereign power. So though they are ruled somewhat independently, one could argue they are part of China... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Taiwan).

    But I'm pretty sure J did not know this either.

    Also Sleepless in Seattle is one of my favorites. Love it. Also in Jonah's defense I sort of think of Oklahoma as somewhere in the middle (though I could find it on the map....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not in anybody's defense (more of a commiseratory *facepalm*), but I did spend the majority of my time since New Year's thinking that Brussels and Belgium were the same thing, and that Ghent was a city in Brussels. It wasn't until I had to get off the train in Brussels that I realized I was in a CITY in BELGIUM, and had to find a connecting train to Ghent, YET ANOTHER city in Belgium. (Don't tell any of my course-mates here in 'European Theatre'.) As a related corollary, I will note that most Belgians (Flemish?) are as confused about their own geography as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of that Sleepless scene often. Once at an Old Navy in Brooklyn while checking my ID, the lady asked me, "Utah (said OO-tah), where's Utah?" Hmmmm.... I debated this matter. How to explain to someone who didn't already know or how to even pronounce it? By... California? Not really but whatevs.

    Also loved the people at Studios who brought me a map of Epcot and asked where Blizzard Beach was. That's just a train wreck and a half. Or my favorite Q&A: "How do I get to Disney World?" "You're in it."

    ReplyDelete